Tuesday, December 18, 2007

I have a love/hate relationship with Tivo

I love/hate Tivo. I love everything obvious about it (reality addict remember). Seriously....whats not to love...watch what you want, when you want, the whole season or just one episode. No dissappointing reruns, you can watch all 11 hours of Wimbledon in two hours sitting in bed!!! But heres the bad parts...

1. You find yourself always saying..."did you see Lost (or whatever) last nite????" or "she totally reminds me of so and so..." or "on Real Housewives of the OC the funniest thing happened..." All of a sudden you feel embarrassed because it sounds like you do nothing BUT watch TV. You are always wishing you were quoting more scriptures or old classics...but you can't....you can quote what "Lauren said to Audrina" or "is Dunbar cuter than Cahutta?" (you MTV reality junkies know exactly who I am talking about)

2. The inner "control freak" rages her mighty head when it comes to my shows. We have 4 Tivos in our house...why is it so hard for people to find a place to watch thier shows so my shows can record? There is a crazy rhyme and reason to what and where I record certain shows. It is a dilemma at the beginning of a new TV season how to prioritze MY shows. The weird ones that play about 50 times a day i.e. trading spaces, 30 minute meals...are all recorded in the laundry room. They are kind of the mindless kind of shows you don't really have to pay attention to...you can pause them in between loads and not have to try to remember where you left off. Then there is the family room.....it is reserved for just that...family shows...Wife Swap, Run's House (which is just like family videos...we are them), Amazing Race and of course Deal or no Deal. (I sneak a few of my "level two shows" in where I can get away with it) Then there is the bedroom. Here is where I become completely self-centered and single minded.....this is where the highest priority shows are sorted and saved and anticipated with excitement and glee. Survivor, ANTM (again..reality junkies will know exactly what show that is), Desparate Housewives, Real Housewives, Project Runway, Biggest Loser......see the BIG ones....no one mess with that controller and HEAVEN HELP the husband who cancels a show to watch some old Rambo or Die Hard on TBS....I need not say anymore.....

3. Now here comes the real reason I hate Tivo. The dissappointment and sadness that actually surrounds you when there is a technical difficulty. You invest hours and hours of the sleep you deserately need to watch the girls trot and compete on Americas Next Top Model or eat bugs on Survivor. You actually hurry up dinner or skip the gym so you can see who got voted out.....then (as it happened this week) you come home from being out of town. You get the car unloaded, the family fed and you settle in for the Season Finales of these shows. The LIVE 2 Hour shows...you get all snuggly and are ready for the marathon....turn on the TV and you get...'SEARCHING FOR SIGNAL"...WHAT!!!!!! Are you kidding me????? How long has this been happening?????? It can't be possible...but it is true...nothing has recorded since the day you left town.....oh the misery and pain...and you can't complain because then (revert to #1) people think you are a lunatic.....

am I really this shallow????

Oh well....I guess I really should be doing other things...but.........the Season Premieres for next season are only 17 days away...HORRAY!!!

Peace Out...
jlr

1 comments:

Autumn

Hey Janae, I don't have cable and so I don't have TiVo but my weakness is the fact that they stream a lot of these shows online, The Hills, ANTM and my favorite Beauty and the Geek. We need a more comfortable computer chair if you know what I mean :)