Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Missions are for big boys.


Why do I count the days until Jake comes home?   I get letters like these and I am so grateful for him and the opportunities he has to serve the people of Ecuador.  I am so happy for the experiences he is having.  He is such a joy as a son and young man.  
 He once wrote that "if it weren't for my family, I would stay in Ecuador and serve the Lord forever." (gasp...breathe mom breathe) 
This is a little update from his letter this week. 

"But there is a dark cloud that hangs over our sector! People here get sick. (not to worry. I dont get sick) I have met more people here that have some sort of cancer or tumor, or plague then ever. The toughest one is this investigator we found last week. Her name is Narcisa Mora. She is about 35 years old. She is singer. We got a reference from her neighbor that wanted us to give her a blessing. We gave her a blessing and we set an appt to come visit her again. We came back, and taught her, and she was still sick. After teaching a good lesson, we start leaving, when her brother in law came running out after us, and he told us that she cancer, but the family still hasnt told her yet. He asked for advice about if/how/when to tell her. We didnt really know how to respond, we just told him that the next lesson we are going to teach the plan of salvation. Last night we went there, and we taught her the plan of salvation. She wants to get baptized. She doesnt know she has cancer, so its not a death bed repentance type thing, so we are trying to help her. She wants to go to church! We are going to try and save her a bench for General Conference. Really, missions are big boy stuff! Its kind of crazy!"



I love him.


0 comments: